26.7.08

The Brownies

Were excellent at Norwich Arts Centre last night. They played a storming set full of energy and power that packed a real punch in a very hot crypt.As i have said on my facebook and in conversation if the band were from The smoke or Manchester they would be on the cover off the now commercially sad but is there an alternative magazine NME.My compatriot for the evening said they have got better every time he has seen them, lets hope the progression happens slowly and that the big name producer they have for the LP does not smooth over the rawness.I am looking forward to the long player big time .I also hear news of a Norwich band feud between Violet Violet & the Brownies with the Kabeedies tagged on for good measure.Lets get a band play off with a battle to the very end to determine the victors.
I loved the main support act
Fuck Dress who mashed together a huge range of influences to create an aural assault that provided a great trip back to the best alternative 80's sound.
The other support bands were Platform 1 who were to be truthful ,awful with the onstage charisma of a squashed daddy long legs and I only caught the last two songs of an Elastica influenced first band
Comic Book Heroes but I have added them to the list to catch again.
Norwich just seems to be oozing with great music at the minute with a free event at Waterloo Park on Sunday hopefully next on my list after a sponsored bike ride in the morning.
I have posted the Brownies video before but as it is possibly the best song of the last twelve months it just has to be aired again and again.

means to an end promo video