2.8.08

Martha Wainwright a review

I have waited a day or so to post a review to let the gig sink in.
The chance to see Martha play close up (she really was only 6 yards away from me) was one that could not be turned down.I like both of the albums and although the cost is much more than I would ever dream of paying (19 inc booking) it just screamed at me to do it.
The first thing I noticed was that this was a real grown up gig with lots of middle age and grey pounds filling the venue, not a bad thing but a big indication of where her main fans are from.
The support was the lead singer of "Brute chaos" James Steel playing an acoustic set.His set of alt country songs was impressive and after checking out the myspace of his band I will be seeking out the full band when they play in our area.
Martha ? Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the gig but it was just a bit dull.I loved the bits were it went off centre,the Piaf cover and Stormy weather were amazing as were several other bits of the set but it just didn't work for me as a complete gig.Perhaps I expecting too much or maybe the dickhead at the front who just would not shut up between songs caused this (he deserved a big big slap)even after Martha had bollocked into him for constantly asking for the highly overrated BMFA he incurred her wrath again near the end of the set and probably caused her to not play another encore.Overall it was a treat to see her in such a small venue but one that will be forgotten about far too quickly.